That Last Snow Hung Around For MORE Than A Week!
I Know, I Know. . . BUT This Is GEORGIA!!
I mean I can't even really explain just how unreal this is to people (or more like my family) who live up north & deal with snow from Nov. to April, this isn't that. This is Georgia, we have 10 Snow Plow/Road Salt Machines for the ENTIRE STATE!!!! I mean, COME ON! And see the thing with this snow storm was that after dumping between 6 to 8 inches (maybe a little less down in the city) it then covered EVERYTHING with between 1/2 to 1 inch of ice! WHAT, we are NOT equipped to deal with ice! So believe it or not, the whole city was pretty much shut down for the better part of the entire week!
Again, please consider all the circumstances, it's GA, virtually no way to deal with this magnitude of winter weather, so Monday morning we all awake to see this winter wonderland, and for the most part everyone is pumped to get a snow day. I thought had we not had the kids we could have played a really fun drinking game just watching the morning news cast & taking shots on the word 'treacherous'. I guess I should add that the storm dumped more ice south of us in the city, & more fluffy white stuff on us, which was fun - for us! But not so much for the 4 million or so people who live & or work downtown.
Of course you've already seen my Monday post, we had a blast the first day, two official trips outside both filled with sledding, snow hiking, snowball throwing FUN!!!! But there was a twist to the rest of the week, see even though the temperature never officially made it above freezing, at night it would get even colder - like down to the teens! And so each morning the wonderful snow from the day before would now have 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of new ice on top! Which still looks pretty enough if all you want to do is look at it, but which makes it VERY hard for the wee ones to walk in or enjoy playing on. . . Found this very accurate chart on facebook ~ well yeah, it pretty much speaks for itself!
A Snowy Day Visitor
So come Tuesday my Mom, who has never been the best 'sit (calmly) in one place' kind of person, decided that she needed to get up to the gas station, in case she was called to get into work - which basically meant that she was SO fed up with being home alone that she was willing to risk it all on the ice & snow covered roads, & as luck would have it our house is on the way to and from the gas station! So she stopped over with all the fixings for homemade guacamole - OH SO YUMMY - and although it's officially more of a summer time snack, it gave all of us just enough energy to suit up and hit the hills one more time. Since Dave had to work and Mom had wanted to enjoy the day with the kids, I got her a pair of Under Armour cold gear leggings and we layered up & went for an adventure!
I wish I would have brought the camera with us, but I was more interested in having fun at the time! Mom and Kaiden were sledding buddies and again I teamed up with Wild Man, and we tore down the 'slopes' or hills - ya know, which ever. The snow/ice combination was F~A~S~T!! It was mid day so the layer of ice had melted some making the snow exceptionally 'packy' if that a real term. So after a while we decided it would be fun to go make a snow man in the front yard. I didn't have an extra scarf & I wasn't about to donate mine! So after rummaging through the garage for a few minutes I found enough stuff to make him look like "a daddy snowman at the beach" - or at least that's what Kaiden thought he looked like!
| Kaiden putting on the finishing touches |
| There! Just Right! |
| Kaiden & Daddy Beachy Snowman! |
| The Motley Crew That Made The Masterpiece! |
| Is Everybody Looking!? OK Is Anybody Looking?! |
More Of The Same
Wednesday, Thursday & even Friday - it was like being in the movie 'Ground Hog Day' - every time you woke up and turned on the news they were showing near empty highways and asking people to only drive between 10 & 4! It was madness! Our roads were fine, but mostly because immediately behind our house is a county road so it was plowed and salted a few times, and that road intersects with another county road that had also been cared for - so Wednesday for a few hours we headed over to Mom's house (a whopping 2 miles away) and the boys got to play with a few different toys, watch some birdies at her feeders then we picked up some pizza (definitely yummy on a feezing cold day) and then we headed back home to interrupt Daddy's work for a pizza picnic lunch.
Thursday Dave got bit by the 'I need a quiet place to work' bug & risked it on the roads down to his office a short 37 mile one way commute that on a good day takes an hour and a half - I think all in all that day he spent almost 6 hours commuting to and from work. Had to help push a few cars off of ice patches and then decided he would work from home again on Friday ~ now is the part I just love the most ~ "I TOLD him so"!!!
Friday we were running out of a few essentials and Dave was almost done with his work on one of his files, so around 5:00 I loaded up the boys and headed for Kroger - let me just say that was NOT the best idea! LORD only knows what I bought! We were ALL hungry, I think we got 4 different bags of chips, stuff for nachos, beer, snacks for the boys - and hour and a half and $130 dollars later I MADE us leave! I have never had such a discombobulated grocery trip! It may not have been my greatest trip in terms of utilizing my coupons OR buying the healthiest food, BUT we had some delicious nachos with yummy cold beer followed by a warm cookie - and after a week in the frozen wasteland, isn't that all any of us could ask for!?

No comments:
Post a Comment