Snowmagedon 2011

We Got Gorgeous Powder Overnight

6 to 8 Inches - That's Unheard Of 'Round These Parts!



Here are a few shots around the house first thing in the morning: it was SUCH a beautiful sight! Everything was under a blanket of fluffy snow! The view looking out our front door, Trooper Dog's prints in the snow, and I particularly love the brick pattern, this was on the front porch right up to the front door, and the last pictures are of the back deck -look how deep it was!










My Snow Bunnies!






Where The Action Is!
What a GREAT day! I've said it before and I know I will again, but snow days are one of my FAVORITE things! We had SO much fun today that when we had to come in to do dinner, Dave and I weren't ready for it to end ~ the boys however were! And since we all know the kids are boss, we went in!Luckily we have sufficient cold weather gear for everyone so that once you get bundled up, which is a process to say the least, when you get out in the snow you are NOT cold! Although Pierce may argue that his ghetto gloves ~ which consisted of one pair of cotton knit gloves, one plastic sandwich baggie and then a second pair of cotton knit gloves over the top, could leave some room for improvement, all in all no one complained. Which allowed us to spend some significant time out exploring the 'wild' and of course SLEDDING!!!




This year the boys got two saucer sleds for Christmas and it was just in time since we had a White Christmas, but it was SO cold then 19 degrees with a feels like 9 when the wind would blow, that we only got to take a few sled runs down the side of our house, but today was different! To begin we practiced on a very small hill we have in the front yard, each boy really enjoyed it & we decided we could take on a bigger challenge. So we hiked down the road a bit and found some more advance hills. Once the initial sled path is carved out in the snow, you can really start to pick up some speed!

We would take turns going down the hill together, Dave with Kaiden and Pierce & I. Kaiden doesn't love it but will take a few runs, but Pierce on the other hand, he can't get enough ~ I knew he would be my adrenaline junkie! It was a pretty good workout for me pushing Pierce up the hill on his saucer OR trying to carry him & the sled up the hill ~ lots of layers between us + gloved hands = serious work not to drop the baby!

The Boys In Action

After an hour or so in the snow we went back to the house to thaw out, eat some chili ~ the perfect snow day food ~ and throw all our wet cold gear in the dryer so we could go back out after naps. Oh yeah and technically Dave did have work to do so he had other things to fill his day besides the snow! But by the time we got ready for our second trip out we decided that carrying Pierce was a seriously inefficeient way to get around so with a little more snow day intuition we turned our saucer sled into a riding sled!! I used one of my hair bands & the dogs leash & ta da!! Of course you have to set the baby just right in the sled but once you get going it's smooth sailing!

Round Two:
So with Pierce on his pull behind sled, we skidded our way down the side walk ~ I use the term side walk loosely since EVERYTHING was covered with both ice & snow ~ but we finally reached our sledding destination after a few more runs down the smallish hill the boys wanted to go bigger! Lucky for us we live in the sticks which just happens to have a LOT of rolling hills, never mind that the hill we were on lead to a sand trap, it was BIG & it went FAST and 4 out of the 5 races Piercey & I won the race, I am a better saucer driver than Dave ~ go figure. Although I may have had the advantage with my solid hood ornament, but I'll tell ya this, carrying that little trophy back up to the top of said sledding hill made me sweat! Shew! But it was SO worth it! Trooper would huff it back up to the top, then sprint after us barking in protest the whole time, I think in his old age & as self appointed protector of our pack, he really doesn't like it when things seem out of control, it was very endearing!

After enjoying the hill for what felt like eternity, it's weird when everything is covered in white and NO ONE has a care in the world what time it is, or there are no other people around time does kinda stand still, but the sun was going down AND there was that whole SEC Championship game we wanted to watch, so Dave picked up Kaiden and I place Pierce back on his chariot and we headed back to the house for the night. As we stripped off our wet snow going clothes, starving for dinner and ready for some snuggling on the couch I thought what a GREAT DAY! I mean it really gave me the warm and fuzzies, one of those days you wish you could freeze time & just stay in that moment the whole day! My favorite part, which wasn't caught on video, the four of us and Troops were back in our front yard, just before going in for the night, and we were rolling around in the snow, attempting to make snow angels, throwing snow balls for Troops to catch, watching Trooper try to 'kill' the snow (when they shake their head back and forth while he nibbles at the snow and watching Pierce and Kaiden tackle each other and try to tackle us into snow piles, and we were just laughing and having the most fun, yup that is my forever memory from the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...