Who Needs Enemies . . .
. . . When We Have Kids!
I know I am NOT the first Mom to say 'Oh THAT'S NOT GOOD', nor will I be the last ~ and on that note you know how people always say "these kids don't come with instruction manuals". . . . well I think we can change that. I am working on a proposal for hospitals to give new Moms (or any 'level' mom for that matter) a 'WCSM ~ Worst Case Scenario Manual'. Imagine it, your child walks/crawls/looks to you with any assortment of miscellaneous ailments and you say to yourself 'that can't be good' rather than flying straight into freak out mode you consult your WCSM and realize that although your child looks to be on the brink of being placed in a bubble he simply has ________fill in the blank childhood illness. . . . It's a work in progress, I'll keep you posted.
Patient Zero
OK, OK I now know that this isn't actually a cause to lose it, but at the time I was starting to freak my freak!!
Kids are into everything and when possible that everything also gets put in their mouth, especially with Pierce. So in all honesty I have NO way to pinpoint the source. Plus since it's summer and I am trying hard not to keep the boys trapped inside all day everyday, apparently they don't appreciate the great sports on ESPN nearly as much as I do (~World Cup & Wimbledon at the same time, are you kidding me?!) we had been ALL OVER Alpharetta & Canton last week. Saturday after a fun day with tennis and the pool we finished the day in the front yard with some watermelon, something we've done pretty often in the last few weeks. But Sunday we noticed that Pierce had a rash of little red bumps on his legs & belly, I thought it may have been heat rash and Dave thought it was just irritation from the grass. . . . About this time we were also noticing that the one little red bump he had rubbed on his lip from constantly chewing on his finger to ease the pain of his molar coming in had started to spread along with a significant increase in drool. So at this time we still thought two unrelated but irritating (for Pierce) incidents.
Well come Monday morning those innocent looking red dots had turned into raised bumps with a few becoming water filled blisters, his mouth and surrounding face looked awfully painful and after only wanting to eat 3 bites of his morning eggs I called the doc. I mean who are we kidding, that kid has NEVER only wanted 3 bites of anything ~ something MUST be wrong!! After going over his symptoms with the advice nurse she thought it could be impetigo ~ one google image search of that diagnosis & you'd high tail it to the doctors office too!
Hand, Foot, Mouth ~ Oh That's All ~
Who knew!? So apparently this H.F.M.D., although it looks like your child will be patient zero for the 2010 outbreak of the bubonic plague, is relatively harmless, albeit highly contagious, and since it's actually a virus all you can do is 'let it run it's course' (I get it but I HATE that verdict!!) ~I have to add the hilarity that was the waiting room at the doc's office. These poor mothers in the 'sick side' waiting area doing their very best to keep their kids away from my little sess pool without saying outright "that kid is gross STAY AWAY!!" I totally understand it though, I mean I didn't want to get anyone else sick~ . . . . So off we went to medicate Pierce with the Kroger brand acetaminophen drops since Tylenol's shelves are still bare, and luckily since he was teething I had just bought the industrial sized bottle earlier in the week while on our Cherokee Co. tour!!
There it is pictures of his hand - foot - and mouth ~clever name scientists who discovered this disease~ I have to admit those pictures were taken early Monday morning, each extremity only got worse before getting better and unfortunately these blisters got larger and larger until they ultimately popped! Eek & Blugh!! Here it is Friday, the end of the week that this 'Outbreak' occurred and he still has multiple red blisters on the soles of his feet and palms of his hands. None of these blisters are still water filled either from popping (eek, blugh) OR from healing (yay) and as a testament to just how hardy God made these little angels Pierce is no worse for the wear!!
Sibling Side-note
I have every reason to believe that Kaiden has escaped this round of the virus ~ much the same as how Pierce escaped his brothers Fifth Disease back in April, Kaiden somehow escaped this round of ickiness!! Yay!!
POOOOOR BABY!!!!
ReplyDelete