Let's Here It For The Boy!!
Or in this case the Dad!
So this past week I was so proud of myself for getting the fourth wall of Pierce's room painted but I was getting a little anxious about just how I was going to get my design on the wall. I decided on an argyle pattern and just designed it to incorporate all the left over paint from Kaiden's room. It was pretty easy on the word doc, I just drew my top and bottom guide lines made one square, turned it on it's side and copy pasted a few more times. Then I used the dash lined function to draw the lines across the diamonds and I adjusted the colors of each according to my design. See easy enough right, but that was on the computer, getting it all on the wall was a completely different thing, or so I thought.
I was telling Dave how I thought I would just go buy thick poster board, cut it into the appropriate size square, use a plum line to put up my two guidelines, then tape the square in place, trace it then tape it, then paint it. He just shook his head N-O. It was getting late, and I had just drawn Kaiden's bubble bath, so I said OK we'll talk about it later, and I went in to bathe Kaiden and get him ready for bed. I had printed out a copy of my word doc design and it was sitting in Pierce's room, Dave pops his head in and says "do you want it to look exactly like this?" I'm not exaggerating when I say 15 minutes later Dave walks over and says OK go look at your design, tell me if it's big enough and in the right spot! This freaking MacGyver I'm married to, had used a tape measure, a stir stick and the long handle for the roller to draw the first diamond on the wall! It was perfect, neat, straight and completely laughable at how quickly he did it.
So I got excited and said how I would paint the squares on and then over the week I would work on printing out a template for the dashed lines and then I would transfer the design to the blank stencil sheets I had bought, then I would use the exacto knife to cut them out and then I would tape two stencils together to make it long enough to reach and then tape them in place on the wall and easy as that I would paint on the dashed lines. Again his answer was an enthusiastic NO! Dave (MacGyver) said OR I could just convert the design into the right dimensions use on the wall measure out guide spots, then stick up two strips of painters tape, and make hatches at the measured points and then you can just paint the open rectangles. YUP - and I thought I was smart, ha ha!
We started Sat. morning Dave just taped out all the squares, b/c he didn't like the pencil lines on the wall.
I painted the two outside and center diamond and then immediately pulled the tape and let them dry. We went back in later that afternoon and I painted the two remaining central diamonds while Dave marked out the guidelines for the dashed lines.
Sunday morning we painted all the lines that went in one direction,
pulled the tape and let them dry, and then did the crossing dashed lines - we were done by lunch!!! Like I said "Let's here it for the boy!" I would still be attempting to draw out patterns on stencil sheets if it weren't for the way his mind works!!!
The Final Product!!!
It is EXACTLY what I had in mind and it looks even better in person!
Mommy & Pierce next to the new wall:
This is me 31 weeks pregnant with Pierce
I l.o.v.e it!!! So super cute! Dave did such a great job getting it up there, I think we both married really smart men! (But that makes us smart women, right?!)
ReplyDelete