A Kirk Family Milestone
One Decade Down 6 More To Go (at least!)
So today is March 3rd, 2009 - its hard to believe that Dave and I got our start ten years ago today!
We met in our UNA Spanish class. I was the loud 'smart' one and he was the loud 'smart ass'ed' one. I thought he was cute, but I did NOT want to be paired with him for the project because he was a frat boy and EVERYONE knows how 'frat boys' do projects - yeah they don't! Well as fate would have it we were paired up, we did fine on the assignment because come to find out he wasn't the typical frat boy. A few weeks go by and at the end of class one day I was writing our assignment down in my day planner - I LOVED my day planner! Once I finished I left it on my desk while I packed up, smooth moves Dave asked to see my planner so I handed it to him. I was about ready to walk out and he says 'check your planner' - OK - so I open it up nothing. He says 'check the 3rd' so since it was the end of February I turned to March, since that was the next 3rd coming up - and nothing. I said "OK I'm at the 3rd and there isn't anything to look at" not believing me he takes back the planner and flips through a few pages - then he says "I'm an idiot, look at Feb 3rd" he had written "Dinner at Dave's. Our First Date."
Well I would like to say that it was this wonderfully romantic evening and we fell madly in love that night, but that isn't exactly how the evening played out. Although I totally thought he was a cute guy, I was more than a little skeptical at a frat boy who didn't have just that 'one thing' on his mind. And since I was a freshman, my girlfriends and team mates were always looking out for me, and they all seemed to think that Dave was 'that' kind of guy and that I should be careful. So after practice that day I went to the gym - oh to have that kind of time to get 2 or 3 workouts in each day - and then when I got home I was just starting to get ready and one of my good friends from back home called so I sat and chatted for over an hour. At about the time I was supposed to be at Dave's I decided to get off the phone and call him to tell him I was running late and to see if he still wanted me to come by. He was very nice and said it wasn't a problem and that he would love for me to still come over. So I finally show up at Dave's apartment, which he marked with some balloons he borrowed from the front office, almost 2 hours late and to my complete surprise he had actually made me dinner, then I kind of felt bad for almost blowing him off.
I can't remember everything he made but I know there was chicken and mashed red potatoes with the skins still on - I LOVE them that way - and I'm pretty sure he made biscuits and sweet tea. I can't really remember what we talked about that night, of course that could be because I spent most of the night talking to his roommate Josh - not because I was interested in him but because I was so afraid of giving off the wrong vibe to Dave. And I also didn't want to feed his ego - you know back to the frat boy hang up - I didn't want him to get a big head and think that I was just crazy over him like all the other girls.
I guess I must have done something right that night, because here I am ten years later pregnant with our second baby and looking forward to the next 60 (or more) years!
I'll try to find some pictures from 'back then' they are so fun to look at - we were SO YOUNG and carefree - and yet at the time we totally thought we were adults with 'real world' problems.
All right enough reminiscing, back to the real world I'm sure there is a diaper to change or laundry to be done or dishes to be put away. . . .
Oh yeah, I remember the gym! That place where skinny people go, right?! Do you think we will ever find time to go again?!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to you and Dave (more to Dave for getting such a great catch!), ten years goes by before you know it!