St. Patrick's Day 2009
Happy Birthday Pierce Colton
Birth Stats: Weight: 5lbs 14ozs - Length: 17" - Time: 7:30AM


The Night Before. . .
Everyone told me how nice & convenient having a scheduled C-section was, and in deed knowing when he was coming and being able to schedule family to come and be with us was nice, but the other thing about knowing when is the looming deadline that you know is just around the corner! So As I wrote in my last post I didn't get much sleep on Sunday night, and I got even less on Monday night. But really that was my fault, because as a wonderful planner and horrible procrastinator, I had written out my very detailed hospital bag packing list weeks earlier, I just hadn't gotten around to actually packing any of it! So Monday night, after dinner and bath for Kaiden I decided it was probably a good time to actually get some of those items off my list and in my bags. Also my Mom was at the house, she spent the night so that someone would be there with Kaiden when we had to head out early the next morning, and we were having fun just sitting in Pierce's room chatting about how exciting the next 24 hours were going to be (little did we know how eventful they were also going to be!) So it was after 11 before I got in my PJs, double checked my bags, and my outfit for the morning and then it was one last sip of water (before midnight or I would have turned into a pumpkin) and off to bed.

The Morning of . . .
So we had to check into the hospital at 5:00am and since we're about 15 minutes from there, Dave had the alarm set for 4:15. But since I had such a busy night the night before I decided that when I got up around 3:00 for my nightly trip to the potty I would just go ahead and hop in the shower, do my hair swipe on a little make-up and be sure Dave was up and at'em in time.

And We're Off. . .

One last picture of Mommy pregnant with Pierce and we're out the door, almost on time!
We chatted about how excited we were to meet Pierce, and trying to guess who he would look like - I guessed he was going to have dark hair and green eyes (like mommy & to honor his Irish birthday) Dave guessed that he was going to be 6lbs 8oz max and that he was going to look like Kaiden. We talked about how Kaiden was going to react when he finally got to see his baby brother and how he was going to feel about his mommy nursing a new baby, and then before we knew it we were in the parking lot of the hospital. Of course Dave and I hadn't done any pre-delivery hospital visits, so we had no idea where Labor & Delivery was - and it didn't help that it wasn't on ANY signs! So I walked in the 'main entrance' - keep in mind this is Northside Cherokee, a hospital in the sticks - there was NO ONE to be found. Another hospital directory and yet NO mention of Labor & Delivery - so I started waddling up the hall towards the cafeteria, I found someone who worked there - scared the pants off of her, but once she caught her breath she told me L&D was on the 3rd floor. So I walked back out to the car told Dave we were at the right place, we parked and headed up the elevator.

We found the nurses station, I handed over a bunch of papers and they took me back to a pre-op room, and sent Dave down stairs to make sure I was fully registered. For the last time I got to attempt to pee in a cup, get in a gown and wait for another nurse and Dave to get back in the room. I sat in the rocking chair in the room by myself with Pierce and got a little teary thinking about how these were the last kicks and punches I was going to feel from my little guy but how I was SO excited to finally meet him. Shortly after Dave walked in, a nurse brought him some coffee and then they walked me across the hall to the surgery suite, it was freezing and I was anxious.

The C-Section. . .
So having gone through one of these before I kind of thought I knew what to expect, but boy was I wrong. With Kaiden's surgery I was given an epidural (LOVED IT!) for Pierce I was just given a spinal block - which removes pain (supposedly) but you can still feel the pressure, and just about everything else - NOT my favorite!!! They said I was good to go, brought in Dave and began the procedure. I did not enjoy this surgery experience quite as much as I enjoyed Kaiden's, pretty much I spent the entire surgery telling them that "I am over this" and I just wanted to know how much longer and to let everyone know that I really didn't like it. I remember them saying he was out, that he had a lot of hair, I heard a few cries, they quickly showed him to me and then I remember the anaesthesiologist asking if I would like something to make me more comfortable and I said a very enthusiastic YES PLEASE!!!

Apparently that is when the fun began - Of course I was well on my way to la-la land but I told Dave he needed to get me and Kaiden some "shoe shoes" and that I needed him to take "Flik" (our big orange cat) off my belly because he was too heavy - and then I guess around that time they yelled out his weight and I attempted to tell Dave "I told you so" but I'm not sure exactly what it was I thought I told him. And as if that wasn't enough I guess as a reflex to the happy drugs my arms were twitching but somehow I ended up goosing my Dr. - it was the talk of the surgery floor - "Oh honey, you made his day" or "So you're the patient who was goosing the doc". Leave it to me to tell the Dr. "I'm OVER this" and then give him a little pat on the hiney, I'm such a dork.

I remember waking up towards the end, I asked Dave how much longer and shortly after that I was moved back into my pre-op/recovery room - and the nurse followed us in with Pierce in his bassinet saying "OK Mom we have a hungry baby" - let the fun begin!
Mommy & Pierce
Look What I Made!



My Little Love NuggetProud Papa

Inspired by my friend Beckie Dave wore a collared shirt - & matching shorts


1 comment:

  1. Oh he is just precious! What an adorable little shamrock. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...