Wow, it is December already!
It never ceases to amaze me just how fast time actually passes!
It is kinda funny, looking back at my last post it says "At least there is NO surgery needed!" the humour is in the fact that I again can say that! No surgery needed! Thank God! Some of you may be wondering what exactly I am talking about. . . all I can say is my life is nothing if not exciting and unpredictable!
OK here is the story. . . This past Tuesday November 28, I was not feeling well. And it was unfortunate because I had just made a huge pot of our favorite and very yummy Veggie Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches - I know what you are thinking we live such a fancy life, but what can I say! So after I had eaten my fill I laid on the couch, I just did not feel right. After 2 hours or so on the couch I moved to the bed and took an assortment of medicines. I thought, since I was so bloated, that maybe I was gassy so I took 2 GasX pills, and just for good measure I chewed on a few Tums. Nothing seemed to help, my stomach just continued to swell and the horribly uncomfortable feeling continued to increase. This continued for another 2 hours, at this point I looked -in my opinion - 9 months pregnant. My stomach was SO swollen and tight, seriously it was as hard as the counter top. And the pain and discomfort was unbearable. I couldn't get comfortable to save my life. I would pace the floor, rubbing my stomach, climbing in bed hoping for some relief, then staring into the toilet hoping for some 'inspiration'. . . . little did I know that would be the only activity I would be doing for the next 24 hours!!! *WARNING -if you are squeamish there is a little TMI coming* Shortly after 10:00pm the vomiting started - nice huh? Well it continued, which you think would help to relieve some of my swelling and discomfort, but alas the pain continued. So after an hour or so I decided something was very wrong and we needed to go to the ER.
So off we went, thinking ahead I brought along a bucket and plastic bags, they would prove to be VERY useful! So while attempting to check me into the ER I proceeded to vomit two more times, and continue to moan in extreme pain! We were put in a room, and I 'gave' several blood samples, and was hooked up to an IV and given a BIG pink puke bucket. Which also proved to come in very handy! FINALLY at the point where I could NO longer handle the pain, and had absolutely NOTHING left to throw up, but that fact of course did not stop the heaving, the Dr. gave me some drugs! OH how I loved those drugs, the anti-nausea worked well but it was the Demerol that I particularly was found of, because for the first time in hours I had some relief from the pain.
Well as you can tell I was having a wonderful time, in between being sick and doses of the drugs I was given a CT scan - which was another special kind of torture! I had to drink a chalky thick banana flavored thing and then have contrast solution shot into my veins which makes you feel like boiling water is rushing through your veins, and as an added treat it also makes you feel like you are wetting yourself. After this I was admitted and moved to a room. This apparently happened sometime early Wednesday morning. My poor husband was exhausted b/c even though I had been in and out of consciousness overnight he had not slept a wink! So he called in the reinforcements, my Mom, and once she arrived he headed home to eat and get some sleep. Mom sat with me while I continued with what had become my new schedule: vomiting, asking for more drugs and then falling back into a heavily sedated sort of sleep. They continued to run a battery of tests on me including pelvic exams and ultra sounds and a second CT scan - YES they repeated the torture of the first and this time made me drink 2 shakes!!!!
At some point late on Wednesday I met with a surgeon who said that I may have to have surgery to fix the problem. I was shocked, I thought I had the stomach flu or some kind of virus, SURGERY what for? He said that I had partially obstructed bowl, at first they thought it was appendicitis but ruled that out. Basically my small intestines twisted over and needed to be un-twisted before permanent damage was done. A pretty serious problem. But at this point I was feeling better, really I was and this time it was NOT the drugs! Even though I had not held down lunch I was actually hungry and (you can't imagine what good news it actually is but) I had passed gas. So this is when they ordered the second CT scan, and told me I had to spend another night and wait for results. Just in case you have never 'slept' in a hospital you don't actually get much sleep, they take vitals and blood at all hours of the night, oh yeah and it never fails that your IV machine starts beeping in the middle of it all making you sure you are dieing of something!
So (-getting towards the end, I promise!) mid-day Thursday the results came back and showed that miraculously my intestines had untwisted on their own! YAY, talk about good news! They canceled my surgery and told me if I could hold down real food I was free!!! Well I am home, so I guess we know the outcome, but I can tell ya this, when you haven't eaten in 2.5 days hospital food is damn good! I am still kind of recovering but I feel SO much better. That was such intense pain, and discomfort that I would NEVER wish that on anyone!
The GOOD news . . . .
As mentioned before, I had some ultrasounds performed and I was very excited about these. Results from the first CT scan had shown several cysts on my ovaries - Oh GREAT I thought here we go again! So I had tons of questions I wanted answered by the u/s tech. And she was phenomenal!!! She confirmed that indeed I did have several cysts on my ovaries, but she informed me (you would think I would know this since I teach Biology AND have read so many pregnancy books) that what I had were called pre-follicular cysts. That means that each cyst is an egg maturing and growing and the largest one or two gets released, and the fact that I had 4 on my right side and 2 on my left side meant 2 (really good) things! First that I was very fertile this month AND second that I had not yet ovulated! YES, finally some GOOD news!! So with a chuckle and a wink wink she said, so if you are hoping for babies and are feeling up to it when you get out of here, this month could be your month!!!
So of course it is too early to know anything, I am actually just going through ovulation, but I can tell you this: "I KNOW WHAT WE WANT FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR!!!!"
I hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving and are getting ready for some more Holiday Fun! I know we are!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment