. . . I Still Remember When 30 Was Old!
Don't get me wrong, in no way was I dreading my birthday, honestly!! I've said it before and will again "if we aren't celebrating birthdays then we're dead so BRING on the years!!" I just think that 30 is an 'adult' age, hmm that doesn't make sense, I know, but it's like when you're in your 20's you have a 'get outta jail free card' but once you hit 30s it's like a 'you should know better' age. . . .
Get By With A Little Help From My Friends
So as I was laying in bed last night (the 12th) Dave was already in REM sleep, big friggin surprise! I did NOT want to watch anymore news, it's WAY TOO depressing, so I changed the channel and landed on an episode of Friends, LOVE IT! The title sequence was just ending & out walks Rachel - streamers are thrown noise makers are blown & she turns around & slams the door ~ Love that!! Out walks Thad explaining the phrases that could NOT be used in front of Rachel that day as it was her 30th birthday and when she emerges she has on her Birthday Crown. Ahh if only life were like an episode of Friends!
The show went on to show her coming to grips with her 'new age' and flashbacks of all her Friends on their 30th birthdays. It was the perfect show to watch on my 30th-eve! Because it got me thinking about my life, specifically the past decade and the one upcoming.Life Is One Big Swimming Pool!
I realize that officially I am ending my third decade but I don't think the first two actually count as decades you 'own'. I mean from birth -10 years, that is ALL your parents, they feed you, clothe you, drive you around, make your plans, take care of you. To compare this to a summer activity we're all familiar with, this is your 'covered floatie' stage you're in the water but you are completely sheltered from all perils of the pool, barely aware of anything but that cute little.
Then from age 11 - 20 you may 'think' it's your decade but lets face it your parent's still own that one too! Yes I realize you get many freedoms in this decade and do have a LOT of changes like puberty, driving, high school and college ~ and all that comes with that ~ but ultimately you aren't entirely in charge yet! It's like your 'water wings' stage - you have enough freedom to get in & out as you want & even splash around with reckless abandon, but secretly your parents are still in charge, sneaky little devils!
Next comes the third decade, from age 21-30 in all respects this is the sink or swim decade!! You've been learning all you need to 'know' for the last 20 something years and then in one terrifyingly real moment - you have to put it ALL into practice & in a hurry! You graduate from college, get real jobs, some even start careers, become home owners, tax paying, contributing members of society, purchase your first off the lot vehicles, get married, make babies, experience real hardships (not like in college 'is she looking at MY man like that, I don't think so!' OR for me 'I am NEVER going to understand this stupid stereochemistry') and unfortunately even loss. I know not everyone may have been a part of their neighborhood swim team growing up or be involved with it now as parents, but to me this decade is the 'swim meet' decade ~ you've spent all this time hearing how things will go, practicing your stroke, even going so far as to have some relay races at practice, but absolutely nothing can prepare you for the big meet! You just have to live through it, try really hard with an attitude of 'good sportsmanship' and accept that you win some & you loose some and at the end of it, if you're lucky there will be a trip to Pizza Hut!!
Of course I've got at least a year to worry about what happens from 31-40 (EEK, how is that the end of the next decade, that is an age only your parents get to!) But if I had to speculate, which since it's my blog I guess I kinda do, I would think this will be like the State Championship swim meet. Like we know what we're doing (or we fake it really well), we're seasoned athletes who are used to this high level, cut-throat level of competition and this time instead of being held in the neighborhood pool it will be at some large stadium huge venue site where all will see how well you prepared for this meet. I say BRING IT ON!!
Speaking from experience....the 31-40 range has been pretty GOOD so far! Enjoy being 30!
ReplyDelete